Eureka! began developing the current MGPTS design in 1997 as a replacement for the old style General Purpose Tents used since the late 1940’s. Eureka!’s MGPTS incorporates the latest tension tent design and manufacturing technologies to provide the military with a multi-purpose weatherproof shelter for any operating environment. And, the performance specifications established for the MGPTS are some of the most stringent wind/rain/snow loading criteria to be applied to any military tent system. The knowledge gained during the research and development of the MGPTS helped shape the field requirements for today’s military tents.
Benefits to the MGPTS Type III
The MGPTS Type III incorporates all of the features and benefits of the MGPTS Type I with a patented internal arch for support and clear, unobstructed interior space. This proprietary arch system creates a structure which distributes wind, rain and snow loads away from the fabric and directly to the arch (or support system), making a stronger, more durable fielded structure. The MGPTS is designed for superior use in various climate and weather conditions ranging from sweltering heat to severe cold. More versatile and more habitable than its predecessor, the former GP tents, the MGPTS Type III can be used for medical facilities, troop billeting, command and control, field service support, emergency/disaster relief, maintenance functions and storage.
- Patented internal arch distributes wind, rain and snow loads more efficiently than current systems on the market
- Is not affected by ambient humidity between zero and 100% relative humidity
- Will not pool water
- Withstands exposure to direct sunlight for 18 months and tolerates temperatures up to 160° F (71° C)
- Can be assembled in winds of 25 mph (40.23 km/h), and when fully erected, withstands a steady wind of 55 mph (88.51 km/h) for 30 minutes and wind gust of 65 mph (104.61 km/h) in three second durations from any direction
- Passes snow load test of 10 lbs. (4.54 kg) per square foot for 12 hours
- Passed all of the rigorous testing parameters for wind, rain and snow loads at Aberdeen Proving Ground, the most diverse, rigorous test site utilized by the Department of Defense
- Smaller crew size (4-6 personnel) can have the MGPTS Type III Medium mission-ready in under 40 minutes
- During set and strike, does not require ladders, vehicles or tools (except for stake installation)
- All components, including fabric, support system, stakes and transport covers, are operable and interchangeable with all other MGPTS parts
- Compatible with standard military camouflage net system
- The MGPTS Type III interfaces with standard military shipping equipment, heaters, lights and environmental control units